I am currently doing some work for a really cool Sydney based biotech, great people and great technology. That is not what I want to comment on though. It is the startling difference between the two major airlines traversing Auckland and Sydney.
I am a frequent flyer with both but have a higher status with Qantas which gets me into the Qantas Club so I tend to frequent that airline more. Air New Zealand however seems to kick Qantas service in so many ways. Lets just list a few of the differences;
- the QF 767s have only the old big movie screens whereas ANZ 767s has the movies and games on demand that start before they even close the doors
- ANZ767s seem to be younger than QF767s.
- ANZ staff seem to have a much more helpful and sunny disposition even when you get on board at 0630 AM.
- My impression is QF tends to leave late and arrive late more often but I don’t have data to back that up
- Both seem to be about the same re luggage delivery but I notice ANZ seems to be quicker in Auckland than QF
- Food on ANZ is an order of magnitude better and less homogenised glug
- Wine selection on QF is an order of magnitude better than ANZ
I am leaning towards ANZ but don’t want to fork out the $700 to join the KoruClub when I already have access to the Qantas Club and believe me it is a godsend some mornings and afternoons. On the horns of a travel dilemma.